Sunday 22 February 2015

Update - 53 days of sobriety

Wowser - that's about 1/7 of the year! Two pregnancies and early childhood aside, I don't think I have ever gone this long without even a drop, sniff, tiny tipple of a drink. And do you know what - I am loving it! I have to admit that I have been out a little less than I normally would but that's easy this time of year. I went to the pub this Thursday and Friday and watched several friends consume enough to make their teeth that lovely red-wine grey, their movements wobbly and their articulation a little less than clear and I wasn't tempted to join them once. I thought people would be uncomfortable having a teetotaller in their midst but this hasn't appeared to be the case so far. I appear to pick up on their stance and feel a little drunk myself.

Other observations:
- I get tired in a way I would not when I drink. Clearly the stimulant effect of alcohol has a big impact. But I also notice that tiredness makes me feel a little tipsy in itself.
- Being sober amongst drunk people has held a mirror up to my former self. Is that what I go like? My husband has told me the standard route is incessant talking and ineffective listening - I do stop talking when somebody else speaks but it is like the other person talking is an interruption I have to be patient about and then I just continue where I left off when they have finished. What anyone says has no impact on what I am talking about. Lucky friends. But do I wobble?
- I occasionally miss the actual warm feeling you get from drinking. Not from any trigger other than my mind wanders there. I have decided that the optimum mood enhancement happens between the end of the first drink up to about half way through the third drink. It's a shame I could never guarantee staying in that lovely window. That window also = optimum fun. On a heavy and enthusiastic night's drinking that can equate to quite a short amount of time.
- I am having fun anyway!
- I am feeling pleased with myself and admiring my resolve.
- I am loving the absence of hangovers.

1 comment:

  1. Well bloody done!!! A 1/7 of the year is impressive.

    No, you don't wobble but you do do all that other stuff that your husband says you do.

    "red-wine grey" - perfect description! My husband has that colour teeth most evenings. Very attractive.

    Anyway, I look forward to drinking an illegal beer with you in Kerala. That won't count. If you drink in a teetotal place it cancels it out. Really.

    ReplyDelete